|Version 101 (modified by 11 years ago) (diff),|
Getting started with Rivet
These instructions are aimed at users who want to install and run a release of Rivet. GettingStartedForDevelopers has some additional or replacement steps for people wishing to check out the development version from the repository and build from there.
Rivet installation instructions
If you are installing Rivet on an Apple Mac, please take a look at the MacInstallationIssues first.
The simplest Rivet installation uses a script to install Rivet and the AGILe generator interface library, plus some dependency libraries if required. The script will also try to use copies of the dependencies from the CERN AFS area, if it is mounted on your system at
/afs/cern.ch. Due to some issues with the CERN system, it is very recommended that you use the script installation to get Rivet working at CERN.
- Download the bootstrap script from http://svn.hepforge.org/rivet/bootstrap/rivet-bootstrap , and make it executable e.g.
> wget http://svn.hepforge.org/rivet/bootstrap/rivet-bootstrap > chmod a+x rivet-bootstrap
- Pick an installation directory, e.g.
$HOME/localfor the libraries and executables to be installed to.
- Run the script, with the installation directory as an optional argument. By default the script will install to
$PWDis the current directory:
> ./rivet-bootstrap $HOME/local
$PWD/local is a suitable installation location.
- After the script grinds away for a while, it will present you with a set of environment variables which need to be set. After these are set (you can just copy and paste the example into a bash session), try running
-hflag to get some help:
> rivetgun -h
If the help stage does not list any generators to go with the
-g option, then you need to set up a local mirror of the Genser generators archive. Instructions for this can be found at GenserMirror.
- If/when you have available generators according to the
rivetgunhelp listing, then try generating a few events in the default (LHC) mode:
> rivetgun -g FPythia:6413
See ManualInstallation for details.
To run Rivet, you'll need to link to a main program. Within CEDAR we use RivetGun; to see how to get started with this, follow these instructions.